Week of October 21, 2023 - Tate McRae (1)

 


Not me posting 😨. Anyways I had to do this because my favorite song of all time is #1. I've listened to it 300 times in a month, if that says anything. This will also be a longer post as I haven't posted in a very long time, so I'll be reviewing every song on here. I dunno if I'll do HitBound, depends on my mood after writing reviews for 31 songs.

Exits:

Zara Larsson/David Guetta - On My Love [#27] (3w) [peak: 27] Nicki Minaj/Ice Spice/Aqua - Barbie World [#25] (15w) [peak: 15] Jungkook/Latto - Seven [#23] {13w} [peak: 9] Olivia Rodrigo - vampire [#12] (15w) [peak: 5]

Countdown:

30 - Willow Avalon - Stranger [Debut] (1w) [peak: 30] 29 - Ice Spice/REMA - Pretty Girl [Debut] (1w) [peak: 29] 28 - Olivia Rodrigo - get him back! [Debut] (1w) [peak: 28] 27 - Usher/Summer Walker/21 Savage - Good Good [+3] (3w) [peak: 27] 26 - Blink-182 - ONE MORE TIME [-2] (4w) [peak: 23] 25 - Charli XCX - Speed Drive [+4] (7w) [peak: 18] 24 - Diplo/Jessie Murph/Polo G - Heartbroken [+2] (3w) [peak: 24] 23 - Ed Sheeran - American Town [+5] (2w) [peak: 23] 22 - Teddy Swims - Lose Control [-11] (6w) [peak: 11] 21 - Dua Lipa - Dance The Night [-4] (21w) [peak: 1w @ #1] 20 - Jelly Roll - NEED A FAVOR [+2] (2w) [peak: 20] 19 - Doja Cat - Paint The Town Red [-6] (11w) [peak: 13] 18 - Jungkook/Jack Harlow - 3D [RE] (2w) [peak: 18] 17 - Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For? [-7] (14w) [peak: 9] 16 - Noah Kahan/Post Malone - Dial Drunk (Remix) [+4] (12w) [peak: 14]

Countdown Extra: Jason Derulo/Meghan Trainor - Hands On Me

15 - Nicki Minaj - Last Time I Saw You [+6] (5w) [peak: 13] 14 - Fall Out Boy - Hold Me Like A Grudge [+2] (16w) [peak: 14] 13 - SZA - Snooze [+2] (24w) [peak: 12] 12 - Kylie Minogue - Padam Padam [+7] (11w) [peak: 12] 11 - Paul Russell - Lil Boo Thang [+7] (5w) [peak: 11] 10 - Post Malone - Enough Is Enough [-3] (11w) [peak: 7] 9 - Crash Adams - Sugar Mommy [+5] (9w) [peak: 9] 8 - Taylor Swift - Cruel Summer [-5] (22w) [peak: 6w @ #1] 7 - Selena Gomez - Single Soon [-1] (8w) [peak: 6] 6 - Fall Out Boy - We Didn’t Start The Fire [+3] (13w) [peak: 6] 5 - Olivia Rodrigo - bad idea, right? [-1] (8w) [peak: 4] 4 - The Weeknd/Playboi Carti/Madonna - Popular [-2] (20w) [peak: 2] 3 - Miley Cyrus - Used To Be Young [-2] (9w) [peak: 2w @ #1] 2 - Doechii - What It Is (Block Boy)(Solo Version) [+3] (14w) [peak: 2] 1 - Tate McRae - greedy [+7] (5w) [peak: 1w @ #1]

30. Willow Avalon - Stranger
I wish Hits 1 would choose a good 1TW. This sounds like a song that Luke Combs would sing, and my opinion on Luke Combs is... let's just say I don't like him. Her voice is fine but overall, the song is very boring and has nothing to it. And though there isn't anything inherently wrong with it, her voice is one of the most boring things I've ever listened to. This gets a yellow rating, and honestly it could've been worse.

29. Ice Spice/REMA - Pretty Girl
This song is fine, but for an Ice Spice song I'd expect a lot more. I've never really liked REMA, especially the collaboration he did with Selena Gomez. And a clean Ice Spice song is just wild tbf. Maybe it'll grow on me, but at first listen it was underwhelming and hasn't improved since. Blue rating.

28. Olivia Rodrigo - get him back!
It's hard not to like an Olivia song. Her voice always slaps, the production never misses, and she deserves every bit of hype she has. This song follows that trend. While it's not my favorite song off of GUTS, it still definitely is up there. The lyrics of this song are magnificent, and the guitar and production fit in perfectly. Amazing song.

27. Usher/Summer Walker/21 Savage - Good Good
This song lives up to its name. There's nothing special or memorable about it, though I really liked Summer Walker's verse. I thought they had put SZA on the song without crediting her. But I've just never liked 21 Savage's work, or for that matter, Usher's, and this song fits that bill perfectly. It's blue rating is perfectly accurate, though without Walker it'd easily be bumped down to pink.

26. Blink-182 - ONE MORE TIME
Blink-182 is washed, to put it simply. Some of their older stuff is good, but like the Rolling Stones, they shouldn't still be around. This song is quite bland. The production and vocals are not at all bad, but there are just no redeeming qualities present. And if you asked me to recite a lyric from this song in about 3 hours, I couldn't. Pink is as high as it's gonna go.

25. Charli XCX - Speed Drive
I like this song. I honestly don't have much to say about it. Her vocals are good, the production is nice, I like the flow of the song. I think this definitely added something to the incredible Barbie soundtrack, though it definitely isn't the best song on there. Overall, it's a solid 4/5.

24. Diplo/Jesse Murph/Polo G - Heartbroken
Another generic country song, though this one's definitely better than Willow Avalon. Jesse Murph and Polo G both sound good here, though Polo G definitely carries the song. Again, this song is extremely forgettable. But overall, I like it. The production is nice and it progresses nicely.

23. Ed Sheeran - American Town
This song is pretty good. I really like the chorus, and Ed usually doesn't miss, especially on songs like this. His vocals always slap, and the production and pre-chorus are both very good. I probably would listen to this song again, but there are also many others that I like better, from Ed alone.

22. Teddy Swims - Lose Control
This never should have reached #11. I hesitate to call it country, but that's exactly what his voice sounds like. The production is unoriginal and I've expressed before how much I dislike those who sing like this. His range is impressive though. However, there's nothing special about this song, and it deserves the yellow rating it received.

21. Dua Lipa - Dance The Night
I used to like this song a lot more, but it got terribly overplayed and my opinion on it soured quickly. Dua doesn't make many bad songs, but they all sound the same after a while. This is one song that didn't contribute much to the Barbie soundtrack. Despite all this, it's still a Dua song, and she definitely knows how to make a good song. I'd give this a pink, though it definitely would've been higher in the past.

20. Jelly Roll - NEED A FAVOR
Why is Hits 1 so into country now bru. Literally none of these songs are good, yet there's been 3 of them in 10 songs. I hate this song. This review is the first and last time I will be listening to it. I don't really know what else to say, this is terrible.

19. Doja Cat - Paint The Town Red
Bouncing back from that awfulness at #20, #19 brings an absolute banger to the countdown. Doja has gone through a ton of controversy as of late, but that won't stop me from listening to this song (and the album) on repeat. The music didn't do anything 🤷‍♂️. The sampling in this song is perfect, and the chorus absolutely stuns. All of the verses here are amazing, her voice fits perfectly, and I love every minute of it.

18. Jungkook/Jack Harlow - 3D
Jungkook has had some banger collabs recently, namely Seven with Latto. This song follows that trend, perfectly blending the styles of both artists. The chorus hits hard, each verse is amazing, both artists sound great, and the production is awesome. It's also a pretty long song, which many artists aren't doing anymore. Overall, it's nearly perfect.

17. Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For?
Speaking of not contributing to the Barbie soundtrack, we have this song. In the part it was used in the movie, it was actually very good, but outside of that it's just another Billie song. And that is not a good thing. Her voice is fine, but the whole song is so... boring. Hopefully this will leave soon.

16. Noah Kahan/Post Malone - Dial Drunk
I think this is a good mix of pop and country. It definitely sounds like a country song, but at least Noah doesn't sound like he was born in the heart of Texas. Post also killed his verse, and that definitely improved this song from the original, which I liked anyhow. The bridge is probably the best part of this. Overall, this gets a blue rating, but it's a lot closer to green than pink.

Countdown Extra: Jason Derulo/Meghan Trainor - Hands On Me
This song is pretty good. I'm not sure that Jason Derulo fits very well here. It's basically just a Meghan song with his voice edited in. There isn't much that's memorable here, and that's basically all I have to say.

15. Nicki Minaj - Last Time I Saw You
I have to admit, when I first heard this song, I did not like it. I was expecting something much different, but it's grown on me a lot. It doesn't start great, but I love the second verse. It totally saves the song in my opinion. The song is somewhat memorable, though Nicki has definitely released bigger and better songs.

14. Fall Out Boy - Hold Me Like A Grudge
The first FOB song on the countdown this week, this is a banger. The verses remind me of Panic!, and the chorus is very nice. It is a bit repetitive, and it sounds like so many FOB songs have in the past, but I think they did a very nice job here.

13. SZA - Snooze
A year ago, I probably would have hated this song. But I love it now. SZA's voice is on another level. The song is slow but goes quick enough not to get boring. The chorus is out of this world, and the production complements the song amazingly. This is one of the better songs off of SOS, and I'm glad it's getting this attention.

12. Kylie Minogue - Padam Padam
I like this song, but it's kinda bland and forgettable. Her voice sounds extremely artificial, though the overall song definitely keeps a person hooked. I just think it's pretty generic overall, kind of like a Tiesto song.

11. Paul Russell - Lil Boo Thang
I don't mind this song, but it's pretty annoying. It has a nice flow, but his voice is one of the most obnoxious things I've ever heard. It's also a pretty short and repetitive song, which is not a good quality to have. Basically, he's just a country singer in a pop song, which isn't a good mix.

10. Post Malone - Enough is Enough
This is fine, but Post has done a lot better in the past. His voice is definitely still great, and the overall song is pretty good, but there aren't any qualities that make it stand out. 3 minutes after listening and I can hardly remember any lyrics.

9. Crash Adams - Sugar Mommy
I've never listened to a Crash Adams song before, but this one is decent. I like the lead singer's voice, it reminds me of Jason Derulo. The verses are not great though. It is a unique song, as nothing on the countdown so far this week sounds anything like it, which is a good quality to have. But overall, I'm not a huge fan.

8. Taylor Swift - Cruel Summer
Why the fuck is this on the countdown. It's such an old song, and it's a good one but WHY IS IT HERE. It's not necessary to have Taylor on here every week. Trust. She also definitely does not deserve the hype she has. Her music is not that good bru 😭. The fact that her Eras Tour movie generated $100 million in the first week is unreal. But back to the song, I don't even know what there is to review, as it's just another Taylor song. Next, please.

7. Selena Gomez - Single Soon
I like this song a lot. Selena Gomez is heavily underhyped, and though she's a little past her prime, this song is still a banger. She sounds really good in this, and the production complements it perfectly. I love the chorus as well. Overall, a nice song, one that deserves it's green rating.

6. Fall Out Boy - We Didn't Start The Fire
Personally, the original version of this song is way better. It's interesting to hear their modern adaptation of it though. I will be the first to admit that I don't like FOB, but this song is actually pretty good. The vocals and production are really nice and the idea is very creative. It's a much better remake than, say, Betty, Get Money.

5. Olivia Rodrigo - bad idea, right?
Again, a classic Olivia song. You really can't go wrong with these. I like this one better than the other one on this countdown. It's very memorable, and the vocals and production are once again incredible. Olivia never misses, it seems. I also love how she builds up the chorus, it adds a very unique element that not many artists have.

4. The Weeknd/Playboi Carti/Madonna - Popular
This song is.. alright. Most songs from TV shows usually aren't great, and this song is no exception. There is just nothing exciting here, aside from the artists featured. They all sound fine, the chorus is good, the song moves along nicely, but there is little to no progression and besides the one viral part, nothing memorable about it either.

3. Miley Cyrus - Used To Be Young
This is a classic Miley song, but it's pretty good for what it is. It's quite memorable and her voice is amazing throughout. I'm glad this song was able to hit #1, it deserved that. I love the production and mood throughout this song, and this is a huge jump from Flowers.

2. Doechii - What It Is (Block Boy)(Solo Version)
I LOVE THIS SONG. Doechii has become one of my favorite artists at the moment, but this song turned me on to her. The chorus, verses, production, her voice, everything is just awesome. This would easily be my favorite song on the countdown if it wasnt for our #1.

1. Tate McRae - greedy
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I have been waiting forever for Tate to finally get the recognition she deserves. Not only is this song huge on Hits 1 right now, she's also #2 on Spotify global and #30 on the Hot 100. I absolutely love Tate and am so glad that she was able to achieve a solo #1 on the countdown.

My Rankings:

Worst song on the Countdown:
30. Jelly Roll - NEED A FAVOR

Terrible:
NONE!

Bad:
NONE!

Mediocre:
29. Willow Avalon - Stranger
28. Teddy Swims - Lose Control
27. Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For?
26. Paul Russell - Lil Boo Thang

Decent:
25. Blink-182 - ONE MORE TIME
24. Dua Lipa - Dance The Night
23. The Weeknd/Playboi Carti/Madonna - Popular
22. Post Malone - Enough Is Enough
21. Crash Adams - Sugar Mommy
20. Kylie Minogue - Padam Padam

Good:
19. Taylor Swift - Cruel Summer
18. Usher/Summer Walker/21 Savage - Good Good
17. Diplo/Jesse Murph/Polo G - Heartbroken
16. Fall Out Boy - We Didn't Start The Fire
15. Charli XCX - Speed Drive
14. Noah Kahan/Post Malone - Dial Drunk (Remix)
13. Nicki Minaj - Last Time I Saw You
12. Ice Spice/REMA - Pretty Girl

Great:
11. Fall Out Boy - Hold Me Like A Grudge
10. Ed Sheeran - American Town
9. SZA - Snooze
8. Single Soon - Selena Gomez
7. Miley Cyrus - Used To Be Young
6. Olivia Rodrigo - get him back!
5. Jungkook/Jack Harlow - 3D
4. Olivia Rodrigo - bad idea, right?
3. Doja Cat - Paint The Town Red
2. Doechii - What It Is (Block Boy)(Single Version)

Best song on the Countdown:
1. Tate McRae - greedy

Overall Rating: 75.3%

Thank you all so much for reading! This won't be a normal thing, I just wanted to celebrate Tate's success. I do not feel like doing HitBound though lmao. Cya guys next time!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album Review: I Used to Think I Could Fly - Tate McRae

Week of January 29, 2022 - Lil Nas X (1)