Album Review: I Used to Think I Could Fly - Tate McRae

 Hello everyone and welcome to my official return to blogging! And no more special of a return post than a review of Tate's debut album, right? First up some background and then I won't waste any more time.

I became a Tate fanatic around 5 months after You came out. I didn't really enjoy you broke me first, and so I never really payed attention to any of her other songs. Until, You started to rise on Hits 1, and I started hearing it more and more, and started liking it more and more. It quickly became my favorite song, and so I listened to some other songs by the artists featured on there. Regard has some nice ones, but Troye Sivan isn't the best and You is the only great track from him. But Tate, I fell in love with. I became obsessed with songs like Stupid, Lie to Me, and best of all, Slower. And now, a few months later, we're at her debut album! Lets get started!

Our first song is called Don't Come Back, and what an opener it is. The production is just beautiful, it complements her voice so well and isn't aggressive, loud, obnoxious, or do anything to detract from the song. And thats a great thing, because Tate sounds amazing here and the lyrics are perfection. My only issue with it is that it's a tiny bit repetitive, but nothing that major. If anything, it makes the song less forgettable. 

My rating: 10/10

Next up, with no less of a bang than the first song, is I'm So Gone. This song is nearly as fantastic as the first one, and it stuns with the variation of production and her voice. It is so amazing. Anyways, about that production. It starts out with some guitar-like strums, which is displayed throughout various points in the song, but during the verses it drops to an almost rap-like beat. This one's lyrics are just as on point, and Tate just does a wonderful job singing here.

My rating: 10/10

Next up, we have the first of four pre-released singles, this one being What Would You Do? This song is a great, just like the other ones. We have more of a pop-punk vibe from this which I like, and of course the production is just amazing. Her voice can get a little annoying throughout the song though. But holy cow that bridge is so amazing. It's literally perfection. 

My rating: 9.5/10

Our fourth song from the album, another pre-release, is Chaotic. I enjoy this one, but it's a little slow for my liking. However, the production on this is magical. I mean it is just out of this world. And her voice is just... if you think it's good in the other songs, you'll be blown away in Chaotic. But its just not fast paced, and amazing lyrics can't quite salvage that. Now, it's still amazing, but not maybe as great as it could be.

My rating: 8.5/10

Our next song, Hate Myself, is a perfect blend of slow and sad and upbeat. I love, love, love the songwriting in this one and Tate sounds fantastic as always. And, as with the first song, the production complements it perfectly. Like, it's literally beautiful. It's a tad on the slow side, but still amazing.

My rating: 9.9/10

Speaking of great songs, our next is just out of this world. It's called What's Your Problem, and to be honest, what are all the other artists who havent made this song's problem? IT IS SO GOOD. I love the upbeat yet angry vibe from it, and Tate just... wow. I really hope she pushes this because its that good.

My rating: 10/10

Number 8 on the album, another single, shes all i wanna be is a mix of amazing and ok. First, the goodness. When does Tate not sound good?? Like, seriously, she is just amazing in the song. Secondly, the production is fantastic and the songwriting couldn't be better. However, if you actually listen and pay attention to the song, it's quite slow and doesn't really advance as quickly as it should. 

My rating: 9/10

Next up, we have a song that brings back some old Tate vibes, being boy x. I really don't like the verses in this song, but the pre-chorus is just beautiful. Also, the chorus shouldn't be put out of light because that is fantastic as well. Unfortunately, Tate just doesn't sound her best, and it's too slow to really be amazing.

My rating: 7.5/10

And, coming off a not so great song with boy x, comes another fantastic one, called you're so cool.  I love love love the production in this song, and of course Tate sounds amazing. I also love the concept of this song, though it reminds me of a less-than-great song from Tones & I. Anyways, great job Tate.

My rating: 9/10

Our final single comes in the form of this next song, feel like shit. I don't like this too much, but it's good enough. Tate sounds fine here, and the production is nice, but nothing really stands out about it besides the songwriting. That is a great part of it. I also like how it's not a terribly slow ballad like some others on the album *cough* chaotic *cough*. 

My rating: 8/10

Second to last on the album, another one on the slower side, we have go away. The production in this one is really nice and the song is super relatable. But, it's slow. And Tate's voice isn't up to her usual standards, but the song has a unique vibe that I do like. 

My rating: 8/10

Finally, we have another slower song, i still say goodnight. This is my least favorite song on the album. It's super slow, and Tate's voice doesn't make up for it since everything else is dismal. The production is minimalistic and nothing really does anything to make it good.

My rating: 6/10

Final ranking:

#12 - i still say goodnight
#11 - feel like shit
#10 - go away
#9 - boy x
#8 - chaotic
#7 - shes all i wanna be
#6 - youre so cool
#5 - what would you do?
#4 - Hate Myself 
#3 - dont come back
#2 - im so gone
#1 - what's your problem

One final note about the album: The intro to this album is so amazing. It's one of the most relatable things I've ever heard and the way it effortlessly flows into don't come back is just flawless. 

Thanks for reading and I'll see y'all in the next one.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week of October 21, 2023 - Tate McRae (1)

Week of January 29, 2022 - Lil Nas X (1)